Sunday, April 8, 2012

Mumbai Mumbles: Tingling turquoise!

I love the turquoise and blue of  the
 swimming  pool
Water.  Is magic.   It opens me up completely.   My mind flies and soars like an kite, when the liquid touches and tingles my skin against the marvelous turquoise of the swimming pool.   How things have changed?  I yearn to get into that puddle, especially when I have lot of time in my summer holidays, and my skin sweats  sticking salt and there is a swimming pool right beneath my feet. 

I hate classes so much - beyond school.   My parents once put me in some handwriting class.  I scoffed and scowled at the teacher, and played pranks.  It was full scale mutiny - and finally the teacher gave in and gave up!   My parents could do nothing but pull me off. 

The magic of the 64 squares
captivated me.
Then I was introduced to the 64 squares.   Two days, I did my usual thing.  Protests - protests.   My father had told the master that I have the knack for staging 'civil disobedience'.    This man was a task master and used to put me through the drills in that baritone voice of his.   How I hated his kind!   

But the magic of the 64-squares made me forget all these.  I loved the pawn, bishop, rook, elephant, the king and the queen.   My mind would unlock the moves, both of me and my opponent.  When I do the check-mate jig, it was like being on the top of the world.  The imaginary paths of the moves on the chessboard would flash in my head like a lightning trails.  I ate, drank and slept chess.

I loved the froth of the beaches!
Within 4 months, I did complete the beginner and intermediate, and they told me that I was too quick.    They made me to wait for almost 6 months before they let me play Advance!   I was tournament material within a year.   But for the last one year,  since we have been in Mumbai, I have only played chess occasionally.  I know that my father tried, but there was no class in the vicinity.     

That is my tryst with chess.   Now I play self-chess at home. My father tries to play chess with me, but he is a lousy player, and always loses.   Anyways, he likes his blog thing more.  My uncles, Rajesh and Siva play well, and they are some match.   
My father and I in Alapuzha-
life-joy in a life-buoy!

I don't like going outside, it was like always Ben-Ten and Chess.  If I had to go out, it was always the beaches.  From the Marina to the Kovalam beaches in Chennai,  the froth of the sea and the cool sand in the evenings have always excited me.

And we took this trip to Alapuzha where my father put me in this lifebuoy and what an experience it was!  My father nearly drowned because of some undercurrent.   He came out with this dreadful experience with a poker face, and thinks no one knows it.   But we all had a laugh over it!

Then, another day,  my father took me in our car.   We drove past the aquatic complex, but suddenly, he swerved the steering wheel and lo! we were inside the campus - a 12 day summer swimming camp was going on.   

As we entered,   I saw the most beautiful view of my life.  Three pools - A small pool.  A large one.  Then a diving pool.   And out there, a whole set of kids, like me, splashing and splurging like the born rich.    

Colorful head-gear throwing a tingling madness against the aqua-blue of the swimming pool.   The turquoise is an enchanting color.  And the aqua-blue.  So captivating, and I fell for it like a moth to a bright light.  

My father met the man-in-charge, and they took me to the coach.  The coach, again, like the chess one, was an exhort-er. He was driving the bunch of kids to float, the way he wanted, and put them in line, if somebody had fun.   I did not like him, but it was ok.  The rebel in me went to sleep. 
The kids pool in this complex is fun

That evening, we shopped for the swim-wear - head-gear, trunks and goggles.   Colors, colors, I love them.     I waited for the next day with bated breath.

Once I was into the water, it was fun.   The smooth coolness made me peaceful, and naughty :).  Cut to the chase, the floating, the butter-fly, free-style and breast-stroke that I learnt was wonderful.   


The new swimming pool - so welcome!
 And to add to this, my mother learnt swimming as well.   My father is a bad swimmer and won't learn.  He can paddle and that is all.

Past two years, I have not been able to get back to the pool.   Then, my family moved to Mumbai.  And there is was - 

Water.  Is magic.   It opens me up completely.   My mind flies and soars like an eagle, when the liquid touches and tingles my skin against the marvelous turquoise of the swimming pool.   How things have changed?   I yearn to get into that puddle, especially when I have lot of time in my summer holidays, and my skin sweats sticking salt and there is a swimming pool right beneath my feet.

Exams are done, and I take the plunge!  Turquoise is back.   And again, my family moves to another place.  I hate this - but my father showed me a pic.  A shining pool -again that tingling turquoise next door!   As long as I get to dip, who cares!   My summer swims will continue!

-The One

Pictures Courtesy The One

( This blog is dedicated to the love that my kid has taken for turquoise of the swimming pool and his love for water)
.








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home